Turkey's Information and Communication Technologies Authority has updated consumer rights in the electronic communication sector. Changes apply to execution of subscription agreements, invoicing periods, service disconnection-reconnection operations, as well as timeline targets for subscriber transfers.
The Regulation Regarding Consumer Rights in the Electronic Communication Sector ("Regulation") was published in Official Gazette number 30224 on 28 October 2017.
From 28 October 2017 onward, operators are permitted to execute subscription agreements in electronic environments.
Changes under the Regulation which will apply from 28 April 2018 include:
- Operators will be permitted to execute subscription agreements via physical signatures as well as secure e-signature.
- Operator will be prohibited from charging subscribers for any un-requested and/or un-confirmed service.
- If a service fee amount which occurred during an invoicing period is less than a certain threshold, it will be permitted to be invoiced in the next invoicing period, unless this restricts the benefits of the consumer.
- If services are suspended/limited due to non-payment of invoices, operators will be permitted to charge an additional fee for service disconnection-reconnection operations for the first disconnection-reconnection operation in each calendar year.
- 90% of subscriber transfer requests in a calendar year will be required to have been completed within seven days. The other 10% must be completed within ten days.
Please see this link for full text of the Regulation (only available in Turkish).
Information first published in the MA | Gazette, a fortnightly legal update newsletter produced by Moroğlu Arseven.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.