The serious fire risk presented by inflammable shampoo products has been highlighted in a horrific story reported this weekend.
The Metro reports the story of Aleema Ali who suffered 55 per cent burns after her hair caught fire while it was covered in head lice shampoo.
The then-12-year-old, from Bradford, had applied the shampoo and, while she was waiting the recommended five minutes for it to work, walked past the cooker in the kitchen, where her mother was cooking, reports The Metro.
Aleema suffered third-degree burns to her face, head, arms, chest, thighs, stomach, back and hands. She has had many skin graft operations in the four years since the terrible accident happened.
The Metro reports that neither Aleema nor her mother knew that the head lice shampoo she was using that day was inflammable.
Leigh Day product safety lawyer Tina Patel says that is a common error and that consumers should be aware of the fire safety risk of many hair products on the market.
"What happened to Aleema highlights the dangers products of this nature carry. These products contain ingredients which when exposed to naked flames or other sources of ignition can combust and lead to serious injury.
"Consumers should always take care and ensure they read the instructions for use of any product they apply to their hair or skin so they are aware if the product contains any flammable ingredients and can take appropriate safety measures.
"There is also a duty upon manufactures to ensure the products they produce carry adequate warnings to help minimise the risk to consumers. The safety of consumers should always be paramount to all manufacturers."
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.