Welcome to our summer 2018 edition of the UK Construction Briefing in which we highlight issues affecting UK construction businesses.
If you would like more information on any of the issues raised below, please contact one of the team listed under Key Contacts.
You can find all our publications on the "Insights" tab on our webpage: UK Construction team.
UK construction contracts and procurement
- UK construction contracts round-up
- UK procurement highlights
- Recent reports and policy papers (UK construction focus)
Resolving UK construction disputes
- Round-up of litigation and ADR procedure news for in-house lawyers (construction focus)
- UK Adjudication review
- Using a winding-up petition to enforce an adjudication is unwise
- The court's approach to set-off claims in adjudication enforcement proceedings
- Smash and grab adjudications – redressing the balance
- Legal issues for those running UK construction businesses
- Our round-up includes commentary on immigration, regulatory, energy, housebuilding, planning and employment issues as well as blockchain.
Dentons in the Press
Our recently published articles on the environment, immigration, rail technology and challenging the HSE.
- Big ambitions seen in 25 year environment plan: Helen Bowdren discusses the government's 25 year plan for the environment. (Construction Law, 4 July 2018)
- Impact of Brexit on the construction workforce: following our seminar on 6 June, Jessica Pattinson warns that the construction industry is facing an unprecedented impact from Brexit as the supply of labour from the EU countries comes under threat. Employers will have to ensure compliance with immigration law. (Construction Law, 2 July 2018)
- Technology's role in railways of the future: Zara Skelton, Senior Associate and Jennifer Cranston, Trainee explore how technology might shape the future of the rail industry (Rail Professional, July 2018)
- Challenging the HSE: new case shows how to clear your name: Malcolm Gunnyeon discusses the decision in HM Inspector of Health & Safety v. Chevron North Sea Ltd (Construction News, 18 July 2018)
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.