On 8 February 2021 the Minister of Employment and Labour, Thembelani Waltermade Nxesi, also published a Government Gazette1 providing for the amendment of the national minimum wages, as set out in Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 of the National Minimum Wage Act 9 of 2018. The amendments become effective on 1 March 2021.
Subject to the below, the national minimums wage shall be –
- R21,69 per ordinary hour worked;
- R21,69 per ordinary hour for farm workers;
- R19,09 per ordinary hour for domestic workers;
- R11,93 per ordinary hour for workers employed on an expanded public works programme.
In addition to the rates set out above, specific minimum wage rates are set for –
- learnership allowances;
- workers in the contract cleaning sector (ie Sectoral Determination 1); and
- workers in the wholesale and retail sector (ie Sectoral Determination 9).
1 Gazette Number: 44136. Notice No: 76.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.