The largest law firm in Portugal now has 270 lawyers and 57 senior associates
PLMJ – Law Firm is pleased to announce the appointment of 12 managing associates and 7 senior associates. In making these appointments, PLMJ has taken yet another step in the policy of organic growth that is a hallmark of the largest law firm in Portugal. This step also recognises the merit, high level of specialisation and leadership capacity of its lawyers.
For the first time, PLMJ has introduced the new category of 'managing associate'. The role of the managing associate is to coordinate key clients and matters in PLMJ's various practice areas. These promotions confirm PLMJ believes in the importance of recognising the significant contribution lawyers make towards increasing the competitiveness and efficiency of the firm.
The managing associates were chosen on the basis of a career of more than 10 years in the law, using the main criteria of experience, knowledge and leadership capacity. This position is one preparation for partnership, and its main objective is the management of teams, projects and clients. The 12 lawyers appointed as managing associates are:
- Cláudia Varela, of the employment and labour team
- Vasco Franco, Head of PLMJ Algarve/Faro Office
- Raquel Ribeiro Correia, of the commercial litigation team
- Marta Pedro, of the Mozambique Desk team
- Alexandra Mota Gomes, of the criminal litigation team
- Rita Assis Ferreira, of the China Desk team and currently in Macao
- Margarida de Osório Amorim, of the real estate and construction team
- Sara Blanco de Morais, of the public law team
- Ana Oliveira Rocha, of the energy and natural resources team
- Célia Vieira de Freitas, of the corporate/M&A team
- Raquel Azevedo, of the private equity/M&A team
- Catarina Gonçalves Oliveira, of the capital markets team
In turn, based on the excellence of the work they have been doing and on their daily contribution to increasing PLMJ's competitiveness and reputation, the following seven lawyers have been promoted to senior associate:
- António Pinto Monteiro, a member of the PLMJ Arbitration team
- Sofia Coutinho, a member of the real estate and construction team
- Raquel Sofia Lemos, a member of the commercial litigation team
- Hugo Nunes e Sá, a member of the banking and finance team
- Filipa Nunes Dias, a member of the commercial litigation team
- Alexander Ehlert, a member of the private equity/M&A team
- Priscila Santos, a member of the tax team
For PLMJ managing partner Luís Pais Antunes, "these appointments are recognition of the level of specialisation and the work done for clients, and they reflect PLMJ's culture of rewarding the merit of its lawyers. The appointment of these new managing associates is also a challenge to those appointed to develop their leadership and management capacities and represents a strengthening of PLMJ's constant focus on growth and on valuing its lawyers. This is in line with an exacting and rigorous career progression policy that aims to ensure not only technical excellence and sustainability of the different practice areas, but also the personal and professional development of its lawyers."
PLMJ has been involved in the largest deals of the year, in very complex domestic and international cases that have made it necessary to strengthen its team. This has been achieved through 20 lateral hires and the arrival of 26 trainee lawyers, but also through internal promotion, represented here by the appointment of seven new senior associates and 12 managing associates.
This is yet another step in the consolidation of the strategy of PLMJ, which, over its almost 50 years of history, has been able to build successive generations of teams that are unparalleled in the market. This has been accomplished through a culture of organic growth complemented by a policy of lateral hirings of highly specialised leading professionals, with a clear emphasis on young and dynamic teams.
With these appointments, PLMJ enters 2016 with fresh commitment and a new dynamic, which are necessary to face up to challenges and to maintain its leadership in Portugal and its growing international standing, particularly in the Portuguese-speaking world.
PLMJ has consolidated its position as Portugal's largest law firm, with a total of 270 lawyers, including 57 senior associates, spread across nine countries.
Managing Associates (from left to right) - Catarina Gonçalves de Oliveira, Cláudia Varela, Margarida Osório de Amorim, Célia Vieira de Freitas, Sara Blanco de Morais, Marta Pedro, Ana Oliveira Rocha, Raquel Ribeiro Correia, Raquel Azevedo e Alexandra Mota Gomes.
Associados Sénior (from left to right) – António Pinto Monteiro, Priscila Santos, Alexander Ehlert, Raquel Sofia Lemos, Sofia Coutinho, Hugo Nunes e Sá, Filipa Nunes Dias.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.