At a Glance
- The ongoing events in Hong Kong have caused travel delays into and out of Hong Kong.
- The Immigration Department is functioning as usual and processing of visa applications is currently within the standard time frame.
- Employers with foreign employees in Hong Kong should ensure that their employees are informed of the latest situation and should provide them with company contact information in case they come across any administrative issues.
Ongoing events in Hong Kong have caused travel disruptions at the Hong Kong Airport, however immigration processing has not been affected at this time.
A closer look
- Advice for employers and foreign employees.
- Employers with foreign employees in Hong Kong should ensure that they are informed of the latest situation and should provide them with company contact information in case they come across any administrative issues.
- Employees who must travel overseas should plan for delays at the Hong Kong Airport for both arriving and departing flights. Before making their way to the airport, employees should check the flight status and the latest information provided by their airlines.
- Immigration processing. Immigration processing has not been affected by the events at this time. Processing of visa applications is currently within the standard time frame.
The events in Hong Kong started in March and have continued. They are focused on the country's proposed extradition law which, if enacted, would allow local authorities to extradite people who are wanted in countries or territories with which Hong Kong does not have extradition agreements.
Fragomen has been contacting individual clients with urgent applications to advise of any potential issues.
Given the fluid nature of the situation, affected employers and employees should remain abreast of the latest available information about travel to/from Hong Kong. Fragomen also recommends that travel advisory notices issued by governments be accessed for the latest information.
The current situation has resulted in a great deal of uncertainty. Fragomen has dedicated resources to provide clients with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Contact your Fragomen professional for more specific advice and information.
If there are significant changes regarding immigration processing and related issues, Fragomen will report updated information.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.