Under the transition period as foreseen by the Withdrawal Agreement, UK nationals may continue to reside in the EU without additional measures until 31 December 2020. With the end of the transition period fast approaching and as announced by the Luxembourg government, UK nationals residing in Luxembourg have begun to receive letters from the Immigration Directorate inviting them to prepare an application for a residence permit in Luxembourg.
Key points on these new residence permits:
- Invitations are issued automatically to UK nationals registered as residing in Luxembourg;
- Residence permits are available for UK nationals and their family members residing in Luxembourg before 1 January 2021;
- Applications must be introduced before 30 June 2021;
- Residence permits will be valid as of 1 January 2021;
- The residency permits will be valid for 5 or 10 years (depending on current residence in Luxembourg);
- The residence permits will be renewable upon request, provided that the residence conditions continue to be fulfilled.
Our employment and immigration team remains at your entire disposal for more information. Our team remains also available to assist you in the introduction of residence permit applications in Luxembourg as UK nationals.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.