What does the new Cyprus' legislation provide?
A new legislation has been recently voted, addressing the residency rights of UK nationals in Cyprus after the end of the interim period (31st of December 2020).
Main provisions of the new legislation:
- UK nationals and their family members who have already exercised or will exercise free movement to Cyprus before 1 January 2021 but haven't registered yet, will be eligible for residence under a new type of permit that is to be announced by a Decree issued by the Minister of Interior.
- Holders of a valid Certificate of Registration, without expiration date, will be eligible to maintain the said document without any other administrative procedure. Only holders of Certificates with expiration date (Non-EU family members) will be obliged to follow the new procedure for the new type of permit (upon expiration).
- Those who complete five years of continuous residence in Cyprus before 31 December 2020 will be eligible to acquire permanent residence.
- Those who will not complete five years of continuous residence in Cyprus, will be able to remain in Cyprus to build-up five years continuous residence. Commencement of this five-year period starts at the moment of exercising free movement rights, which may be at any time before and during the transition period.
- UK citizens who want to come to Cyprus after the 31 December 2020 (end of the transition period), will need to meet Cyprus' immigration rules.
How it works for UK nationals' family members:
a. Existing family members of UK nationals covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, who are living in a country other than Cyprus on 31 December 2020 (end of the transition period), will be able to reunite in Cyprus with the UK national as a family member at any time in the future. They will then be eligible to qualify for permanent residence after completing five years of continuous residence.
b. Children born or adopted after the transition period by a UK national or their spouse/ partner in a civil union covered by the Withdrawal Agreement will enjoy the same rights as pre-existing family members. Future spouses and partners of UK citizens who want to come to Cyprus after the 31 December 2020 (end of the transition period), will need to meet Cyprus immigration rules.
Our specialist Global Mobility and Immigration team is ready to assist your entity with tailor-made advice on how to comply with Immigration Law obligations.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.