Following our previous client updates, we bring to your attention the most recent governmental instructions, issued on March 9, and March 10 2020, regarding the attempts to contain the Covid-19.
Please note that the relevant orders have yet to be amended to reflect these updates. Such amendment may include additional guidance.
New Instructions by the Ministry of Health regarding the countries, the return from which shall mandate Home Quarantine
- As of March 9, 2020, at 20:00, all residents of Israel, returning from any other country, are required to be in home quarantine for 14 days, as of the date of their return.There is no retroactive effect.
- Individuals who returned to Israel from another country in the past 14 days (prior to March 9, 2020, at 20:00), who were not required to be in home quarantine, according to other governmental guidelines, will not be required to enter home quarantine now, unless they develop symptoms of illness, in which case, they should enter home quarantine immediately and contact MDA emergency services ("Mada") for a medical consult.
New Instructions by the Ministry of Health regarding foreigners in Israel
Tourists who are currently in Israel, will be given time to leave in an orderly manner, during the coming days. Until the date of their departure, they will be required to maintain the following 5 rules:
- If they develop any symptoms, they should contact the MDA immediately.
- Be meticulous with hygiene
- Refrain from any gatherings
- The return to Israel, if visiting neighboring countries, is prohibited.
- The route of their visit in Israel should be documented.
Foreigners (non-residents), entering Israel from another country, will only be permitted to do so, if they demonstrate a proven ability to be in home quarantine, in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health.
Circular - issued by the Population and Immigration Authority - Important Additional Instructions regarding foreign citizens entering Israel
According to a recent circular, issued by the Population and Immigration Authority (the "Authority") earlier today, March 10, 2020, the relevant date on which the new guidelines above, will enter into force, with regard to entrance of foreigners into Israel is Thursday, March 12, 2020 at 20:00 (which is later than the date stated in the publication by the Ministry of Health).
The circular includes the following instructions:
- As of March 12, 2020, at 20:00, non-residents will only be permitted to enter into Israel if they demonstrate a proven ability to be in home quarantine, in accordance with the guidelines of the Ministry of Health. Proof of ability to be in home quarantine should be submitted by email, in advance, to the Israeli embassy at the individual's location (note: the home of a patient, a hotel or guesthouse shall not be regarded as an ability of home quarantine).
- Accordingly, as of this date, foreign citizens, requesting to enter Israel for work purposes, in various fields, will not be permitted, without first obtaining approval of their required home quarantine ability. This prohibition applies also to individuals who arrive under the expedited process for employing foreign experts, who are citizens of countries that are exempt from visitor visas and invited to Israel for up to 45 days per year.
- Foreign citizens who entered Israel in the past 14 days, and are not required to be in home quarantine, according to the instructions of the Ministry of Health, will not be required to be in home quarantine, unless they develop symptoms of an illness, which require immediate home quarantine, in which case, they should enter into home quarantine and contact the health authorities.
Latest News - New Rules issued by the Ministry of Health this evening, March 10, 2020, state the following:
Additional limitation on gatherings
- The necessity of gatherings should be considered, and in any case, it is prohibited to conduct gatherings of over 2,000 people. This number may be further updated, according to the developments.
Special instructions to care for the elderly population:
- It is recommended to avoid visiting hospitals and facilities for the elderly. If there is a need to accompany someone, only one escort should do so. Individuals who are symptomatic, are not permitted to accompany patients or visit facilities for the elderly.
- Elderly individuals, and specifically elderly individuals with pre-existing immune system conditions, should limit their contact with other individuals, while continuing to follow their daily routine. This update should be read in conjunction with our previous updates.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.