We at Stikeman Elliott are carefully monitoring the current novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We have been proactively implementing measures and developing plans to prioritize the health and well-being of our members, clients and suppliers, while ensuring business continuity in order to meet our clients' needs throughout this period.
We understand that while Canadian public health authorities continue to assess the risks associated with COVID-19 as low for our general population, we can take steps that align with their efforts to delay this outbreak, the health and well-being of those most vulnerable among us being uppermost in everyone's minds.
We have therefore implemented several measures to meet these important health and business objectives:
- We have applied our business continuity plans.
- Our members routinely work remotely and we have ensured we have sufficient capacity to do this on a greater scale than in the normal course.
- We are holding more client and other meetings by audio or video conferencing.
- We have restricted certain business travel and are monitoring all travel by our members.
- We have adopted measures regarding any members who may feel ill or may otherwise be at risk.
- We have increased the cleaning of contact surfaces in our premises and promoted the simple and effective measures that public health authorities have identified to reduce risks of transmission: wash hands frequently; sneeze or cough in a tissue or sleeve; and clean shared items.
- We have encouraged our members to turn to reputable sources of information, rather than unfounded potential biases, rumours and speculation.
We are focused on delivering our legal services throughout this period just as we have done through other periods of turmoil. We have shared our insights on the unfolding circumstances, including through client communications and blogs (see Update on COVID-19: What Employers Need to Know, Update on COVID-19: What Quebec employers need to know and COVID-19: Public Company Operations, Governance and Disclosure Considerations), and will continue to do so.
It is in such times that we are reminded that we are not only your business partner, but a member of the broader community, together with you and all our clients and other stakeholders. We all have a role to play in this evolving situation and we at Stikeman Elliott will do our part.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.